Home
   Today's News
   8000 Meters Facts
  
Banners Ads
   Bookstore
   Classified Ads
   Climb for Peace
  
Contact

   Downloads
   E-mail (Free)
  
Educational
  
Expeditions
  
Facts
  
Games
  
Gear
  
History
  
Interviews

   JustGiving

   Mailing List
   Media

   Medical
  
News (current)
   News Archives
   Sat Phones
   Search
   Seven Summits
   Snowboard
   Speakers
   Students
   Readers Guide
   Risks

   Trip Reports
   Visitor Agreement

   Volunteer/help

 

    
  

 

  




 The South Face of Nuptse Autumn 2003 Update 4


 
Valera Babanov reports from Nuptse base camp:

Oct 11th, 2003 During our last break-out we completed work at the tower. However, dirty weather prevented us from realizing our plans and pitching the highest camp at 7000 m. Tomorrow (October 12) we’ll go off again and we still hope to fix the camp. Weather is fine now. We are safe and sound and if we do everything tomorrow, we’ll attempt a summit during our next getting out.

Americans are going out tomorrow too. They are still at 6000 m (British route). Our kindest regards to all who think of us!"

P.S. Just now a support team (friends of Valera and mine) from Switzerland is approaching the base camp. Valera asked them to `keep connection alive’ during the final bid. They’ll have radios and will keep us informed too. So we hope to get cool news after the team takes-off, but not to wait several days as it was last time.

Oct 6th, 2003 Greetings to all!

Yesterday we retuned to our base camp after a 4-day breakout. We’ve pitched an advanced camp at 6200 m and reached 6450 m altitude. Most of the tower is climbed already -– not so bad for the beginning.

All these days weather was merciful to us. Our next outgo is planned for October 8 and it should take about 4-5 days. We hope to complete our work at the tower and to climb up to 6900-7000 m. It is important for our acclimatization.  

Each day the sun changes shape of the South Face. Snow transforms from pasty to powder and both of the states are not very exciting. Our American colleagues Fabriccio and Billy face the similar problem on their British route now. 

Today I visited nearby Chukung village where I bought some more rope and snow stakes for belaying. Our base camp was examined by Namche Bazaar eco-inspectors today. It was Ok with environment so there were no claims to us. That’s how we live here.

Our best regards, Valera and Yura.
The South Face of Nuptse, base camp

BASK Company is the general sponsor of expedition.
Sponsors: Beal, Canon, Simond, Boreal,
Julbo

Altitech2: Digital Altimeter, Barometer, Compass and Thermometer. Time/Date/Alarms. Chronograph with 24 hour working range. Timer with stop, repeat and up function. Rotating Bezel. Leveling bubble. Carabiner latch. E.L. 3 second backlight. Water resistant. 4" x 2-1/4" x 3/4" 2 oz. Requires 1 CR2032 battery. See more here.







 

  Altitude pre-
  
acclimatization

   Ascenders

   Atlas snowshoes

   Black Diamond

   Botas

   Brunton

   Carabiners

   CaVa Climbing Shoes
   Clearance

   Clif Bar

   CMI

   Crampons

   Edelweiss ropes
  
Eureka Tents

   Featured

   FoxRiver

   Garmin

   Granite Gear

   Harnesses
   Headlamps
   Helmets

   HighGear
   Ice Axes

   Kavu Eyewear

   Katadyn

   Kong

   Lekisport

   Lowepro

   Motorola

   Nalgene

   New England Ropes

   Nikwax

   Omega

   Outdoor Designs

   Pelican

   PowerBar

   Princeton Tec

   Prescription Glacier

   Glasses

   Primus

   Rope Bags

   Seattle Sports

   Serius
  
Sleeping Bags

   Stubai

   Suunto

   Tents

   Trekking Poles
   Ushba
  
and more here

 

 



  



Send email to     •   Copyright© 1998-2003 EverestNews.com
All rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, Visitor Agreement, Legal Notes: Read it