51st day of the
Brazilian Expedition to the Top of the World.
Camp 2 (6,500m) - Base Camp (5,400). Retreat, the best choice, for a
To respect nature in its moments of fury is
always a wise decision.
We need harmony
with this wild nature we are facing, not confrontation. We need to
wait for the right moment, when the winds are in our favor, when
cold temperatures can be bearable, when the atmosphere is clean and
lets us visualize our way with clarity. Unhappily we haven't found
those conditions in the last days and we were forced to descend
again to Base Camp, with the will to recover the consumed energies
by the thin air of high altitudes.
Imagine how much
we would lose if we were frustrated, but we are not. We know that
we have the conditions for success and it will change soon. Alir,
Irivan, Marcelo, Paulo and me are fine, with no health problems,
very enthusiastic for having reached this important moment of our
expedition, the final attack. We are going to approach this great
day with calm and with the conviction that everything will go fine.
If you were with
us at Camp 2 this morning, I am sure you could understand us
better. I stuck out my head from the tent at 5 in the morning and
got a wind blow that covered me with snow. Those 9 negative degrees
Celsius totally woke me up and I could figure Everest and Lhotse
covered by dark clouds. I called the chief of the Japanese
expedition by radio and his reply was "Bad weather, Base Camp!".
The descent was
very tiresome, the trail had disappeared under at least 30 cm of
loose snow. The visibility was minimal, sometimes no more than 3
meters. And snow is almost constant, pushed by a freezing wind.
But don't worry!
We are on Everest, the biggest mountain in the World, and those
situations happen sometimes. I just ask you one thing, very
important, keep believing in the Brazilian climbing team. Soon we
will put Our Flag on Top of the World.