NEWSFLASH: 57th day of the Brazilian
Expedition to the Top of the World. Camp 4 (8,000m) EVEREST
(8,848m). Towards the Top of the World 16h30 Base Camp - 8h20 (
Brazil ) The new Everests summit attack was confirmed for today at
22h00 (local), 13h00 (Brazil). The Brazilian team along with the
Japanese team will join efforts to open again the route to the Top
of the World. Waldemar and Irivan are very well and they will spend
all day resting at Camp 4 (8,000m). The Brazilian duo, despite the
risk of new avalanches and strong wind, are full of hope to conquer
this new victory for the Brazilian people.
11h00 Base Camp 2h50 (Brazil) We
ask you all for your understanding because we are having problems
with our energy systems, so there could be some delays in the
transmission for On Line. This happened this early morning, so we
apologize for the delay in the news update.
10h00 8,000m Camp 4 1h50
(Brazil) We were informed via radio that the Japanese team has left
Camp 3 towards Camp 4 with the objective of attacking Everests
summit this night too. We are happy with this news because we will
join efforts during this hard job of opening the route to the
7h30 8,000 Camp 4 22h40 (Brazil)
Now in the morning we decide a new attack to Everests summit and,
as we have planed, our Sherpas have descended to Camp 2. Irivan and
me spent all day resting here in the South Col, using oxygen and
Alir Wellner, who is OK, will descend with the Sherpas.
6h30 - Base Camp (5.400)
21h40 ( Brazil ) The day cleared with us having no contact via
radio, with the equipment that was in the South Col. All night long,
with our base radio on all time, we tried several contacts, but we
didn't get any answer.
We went then to the Japanese Base
Camp for some information and the answer was that yesterday, the
Japanese team did not go to the summit because of the strong winds.
So the information is not reliable.
Here at base camp we don't have
accurate information, we can not state that our team is now going
towards the summit or if they stayed at Camp 4.
4h30 8,000m Camp 4 19h40
(Brazil) We have just returned to Camp 4 after an incident in the
ascent to the summit. We are all OK, but we were victims of a layer
avalanche, that means, a slip of a big area of snow. Irivan and
Mingma Sherpa were swept by the force of the snow for more than 150
meters down the mountain. In that moment to Sherpas panicked along
with two members of the Korean team who were a bit behind. Very
luckily, Irivan and Mingma, could grip the ice and resist the force
of the avalanche. We decided to go back to Camp 4 where we will have
an evaluation of the new attack. The scared Sherpas want to go back
early tomorrow to Camp 2. I believe it will be a difficult mission
to convince the to continue attacking Everest...