IMG Cho Oyu Expedition Autumn 2002
Update #10 September 23, 2002:
Expedition leader Ben Marshall reported in from ABC this morning after
the group was turned back by extremely high winds on their attempt to
move up from C1 to C2. As Ben put it, the best decision was to tuck
their tails between their legs and retreat. The climbing window looked
like the best one they'd yet seen from a forecast standpoint, so they
went for it, but it turned out to be too short. There is now a massive
plume tailing off the summit daily, and they've had some precipitation
regularly as well, with this forecasted to continue until the 27th.
So now it's become a waiting game. Kami and Danuru fixed the route up
thru the Yellow Band and above, so it should be good to go when the
time comes .... Doug Stoup, John Griber and John Carnahan left for BC
today, will take the jeep tomorrow to the border and we've got a van
there waiting to bring them back to Kathmandu.
If you missed it check out: The Sequel to Ghosts of Everest