Gile American Ski Everest 2003
(Transcribed from a satellite phone
voice message, May 18th)
Dispatch 30: It is May 18th
and this is the dispatch. We spent May 17th heading
from base camp to ABC. We took a nice leisurely walk.
This is pretty much it for us. This is the last time
we will be up here, so we did not push the envelope as
far as stressing ourselves out.
The weather was as nice as it has
been on the trip. It was a very nice hike, although I
don't care how acclimated your are, or how fit you
are, that is a total butt-kicker.
So today we are just hanging out.
The plan is to start moving up to the North Col
tomorrow and start working the mountain. [inaudible]
This morning we are in the thick of a pretty good wind
storm here. I have not seen many people moving up to
the North Col. I did see a few people early this
morning. I have not seen any people moving up the snow
ramp to camp 2.
It is really blowing up there, it is
really gusting. It is really the same stuff, just not
as intense as 2 weeks ago or whenever it was. Intense
and bitterly cold. So hopefully the weather forecast
comes though. We are up here to try to work the
mountain in the first window which is forecasted to
start today and run though the 22nd. So we are
planning to moving up tomorrow.
The weather forecast also says there
is a really good window on the 27th. So we are up here
until at least then. The summit window will put us on
our summit bid starting from ABC on the 24th.
We are keeping our figures crossed.
It is just a windy windy season. [inaudible] Hoping it
pans out. We are trying to relax and rehydrate, and
stay focused, and we will see what happens,. We will
let us know. We are going to get another updated
weather forecast today.
We will check back tonight. So that
is it. Everyone is here, everybody is healthy. We
spent about 12 days at base camp. SO we lost some
acclimatization, people had
rough nights sleeping. Hoping we will get caught up on
the acclimation. We are still going to give it 110%.
We are still focused. We will stay in touch. Mike
called back is here.
Highlight: Other climbers reported
to them "that the Japanese actually made it to the
second step yesterday but had to turn around due to
the high winds."