Current Tibet Date/Time
NEWS UPDATE - Thursday 22nd
May: Peter and Walid are safely back to ABC, both are ok, I have spoken to
both today and both have commented about the strength and sheer determination
Evacuation progress has been
slow today but it’s not surprising seen that Conan is hopping, crawling and
sliding on his bum, as well as been carried by our Sherpas.
He’s currently just above the
North Col so the decision has been called to stay the night at the North Col
and continue down the Col to ABC tomorrow. From there the team and Sherpas
will carry him the 22km back to BC. The British Embassy in Nepal are currently
working through paperwork and legislation to enable the helicopter to fly into
Everest Base camp, if the helicopter cant, then a Jeep is on standby to take
him to Kathmandu. The response in the office has been overwhelming and I would
like to thank everyone for their support and kind words to the whole team.
The previous update is below
URGENT NEWS - 21st May: On
behalf of Adventure Peaks in the UK we would like to confirm that the British
Climber who today has broken his lower leg is Mr Conan Harrod from Manchester.
Conan was moving with fellow
team member Peter Madew from Australia when the accident happened between the
first and second step on summit day. We are still unclear exactly how the
accident happened but we are led to believe that a climber from another team
slipped from above, landing on Conan. A radio call brought Walid who was
higher on the mountain down to assist Peter with getting Conan back down to
Top camp. The 2 team mates escorted and dragged Conan back to his tent and
safety whilst sherpa support from our team and others moved to assist.
Conan is currently stable
with medical support at Top camp. Evacuation will begin at first light
tomorrow sherpas and other climbers will carry him down to ABC. A rescue
helicopter is on standby to pick Conan from BC to fly him direct to Kathmandu.
Words can not describe what his fellow team members, sherpas and other teams
have done for Conan today.
Adventure Peaks Office - UK
The previous update is below...
Report No 11 - Monday 19th
May: A few hours after our update was posted on Friday the team changed there
summit plans. On Sunday 18th, Team 1, Peter, Walid and Conan left ABC to move
to the North Col (camp 1). They are still going for the summit on Wednesday
21st May. Today, Team 2, Dave, Philip, Patricia & Pemba (climbing sherpa who
will be accompanying Patricia to the summit and back) have left ABC to move to
the North Col. They are going for the summit Thursday 22nd May.
As Dave receives news on
Wednesday from Team 1 we will be updating as soon as we hear, this will be
around 3pm UK time. On Thursday, Dave again will phone the news straight home.
Report No 12 - Monday 19th
May, 3pm: Dave has just called to let us know that Team 1 are safe and well at
camp 2 (7800metres) and Team 2 are safe and well at the North Col
(7000metres). Jill Pinkerton
Report No 13 - Tuesday 20th
May: Team 2, Patricia, Philip and Dave set off from the North Col this morning
up the North ridge. Both Patricia and Philip were moving extremely slowly with
the affects of been over 7000metres and at around 7400metres both made the
decision from within themselves to turn around and return back to ABC. Dave
accompanied both back down to ABC.
I have just spoken with
Philip and Patricia at ABC to offer our congratulations and praise to both of
them. Both are extremely pleased with the effort they obtained, and happy that
they themselves made the safe, correct decision to turn back.
Dave has just called home
after the 6pm Tibet time, radio call, all three of Team 1, Walid, Peter &
Conan are safe and well at top camp (8200metres). They will begin there summit
push about 1.30am Wednesday. Turn around time has been set for 12 noon,
meaning that wherever they are at 12 noon they should turn around and return
in order to safely return in daylight hours. They will be radioing Dave at ABC
8.30am Wednesday, by this time they should be well under way. As soon as Dave
calls tomorrow with news, once family have been informed we will aim to update
the website asap. Jill Pinkerton