Dispatch #8 & 9 Himalayan Guides 2003 Expedition
Base Camp 9th May 2003:
all returned to Base Camp following 5 nights at Pangboche (3900 M.) to rest
and build up our strength.
we were at Pangboche we received a blessing from Lama Geshie which boosted our
morale while the oxygen rich air boosted our physical strength.
absence the weather was playing havoc on Everest. Severe storms battered the
mountain creating mayhem with the plans and equipment of most of the
expeditions. The most severe damage was to camp 3 on the Lhotse face. The
Indian/Nepalese Army Expedition had all their tents shredded: many others
lost tents there. We had one tent badly damaged at camp 3 and camp 1 was blown
storms are over now and many of the bigger expeditions have started their
summit attempts despite the storm damage. Most hope to summit around the 12th.
expect to leave Base Camp for our summit bid on 13th with a view to reaching
the summit on 16th/17th. This is of course very much dependant on the weather:
Our long term weather forecast predicts a ridge round about these dates which
coincides with a full moon. We are hopeful that this combination will give us
ideal conditions above the South Col. However the weather forecast may change
as we get nearer the time and we might have to go for later dates.
intend to post brief daily dispatches detailing our progress camp 2 upward.
miss our friends, relatives and loved ones and send our love and best wishes
to them all.
Mackay QC. Everest Base Camp 9th May 2003
Base Camp 11th May 2003
received tragic news today: Patrick Kenny's brother was killed in a fighter
aircraft accident in USA. On receipt of the sad news Patrick left camp
immediately to be with his family in Salt Lake City, USA. Patrick was a
valuable and well liked member of our team. We shall miss his company and
climbing skills. We would like to express our sincere condolences to the Kenny
as Everest summit attempts are concerned, we understand that none have been
successful so far. The Indian/ Nepalese Army Expedition combined with the
British Expedition to break the trail and fix the ropes above the South Col,
unfortunately, due to misunderstandings the arrangement broke down and both
teams have now returned to Base Camp.
Regarding our own summit attempt, we have required to delay our plans. We
received a weather report yesterday and it indicated unacceptably high winds
around our proposed summit date of 16th/17th. We are now looking at 18th/19th,
but we can't even formulate tentative plans until we see a 5 day weather
forecast detailing temperatures wind speeds etc. If we go for 18th/19th it is
possible that we will be among the leading teams above the South Col because
weather conditions between now and 18th/ 19th are not favourable (as predicted
by present weather forecasts).
will advise as we develop our summit plans.
again, we miss and send our love and best wishes to our friends, family and
Mackay QC. Everest Base Camp 11th May 2003