Home
   Today's News
   8000 Meters Facts
  
Banners Ads
   Bookstore
   Classified Ads
   Climb for Peace
  
Contact
   E-mail (Free)
  
Educational
  
Expeditions
  
Facts
  
Games
  
Gear
  
History
  
Interviews
  
Mailing List

   News (current)
   News Archives
   Sat Phones
   Search
   Seven Summits
   Snowboard
   Speakers
   Students
   Readers Guide
   Risks
   Visitor Agreement
 

 

  


Everest 2003: Himalayan Guides 2003 Everest Expedition
Featuring reports from Ian Mackay


Name of the Summiteers

1.     Mr. Kevin Ira Vann (44 Yrs), Technician, Cambridge Lane, Menchester, USA. on 22 May. 2003 at 10:00 AM. It is also reported that they had started for the summit from South Col on 21st May 2003 at 10:00 PM.

and

The following 1 member & 6 Sherpas of "HG Everest Expedition 2003" team have been successful to climb the summit of 8848m. high Sagarmatha (Mt. Everest) on 22 May. 2003 at 10:00 AM. It is also reported that they had started for the summit from South Colon 21st May 2003 at 10:00 PM.

Name of the Summiteers

1.     Mr. Robert Casserley (27 Yrs), Doctor, New Bridge Road, Bath, England.

2.     Mr. Pasang Nuru Sherpa (23 Yrs), HAS, Khumjung-7, Solukhumbu, Nepal.

3.     Mr. Pasang Dawa Sherpa (27 Yrs), HAS, Khumjung-7, Solukhumbu, Nepal.

4.     Mr. Girmi Dorjee Sherpa (27 Yrs), HAS, Khumjung-7, Solukhumbu, Nepal.

5.     Mr. Chhuldim Sherpa (32 Yrs), HAS, Khumjung-8, Solukhumbu, Nepal.

6.     Mr. Phutasi Sherpa (30 Yrs), HAS, Khumjung-8, Solukhumbu, Nepal.

7.     Mr. Pasang Tenzing Sherpa (25 Yrs), HAS, Khumjung-9, Solukhumbu, Nepal.

The 9 members "HG Everest Expedition 2003" team was permitted to climb 8848 Meter high Sagarmatha (Mt. Everest) from South East Ridge for the period of Seventy five days from 4 April 2003 under the leadership of Mr. Henry B. Todd (58 Yrs), Mountaineer from Kingsway Cottayr, Kingussie, Inverness-shire, Scotland, UK.

Two previous dispatches are below

Dispatch #10 Himalayan Guides 2003 Expedition Everest

Everest Base Camp 14th May 2003: Our latest weather forecasts show a weather window between 19th May and 22nd May with winds at the summit dropping to 25 knots. If the forecasts continue to predict these conditions the window is sufficient to enable us to mount our summit attempt.

If it comes, the break in the weather is long overdue. We have all felt bored and frustrated sitting around in Base Camp for day after day anxiously waiting for the weather forecast only to have our hopes dashed time after time by forecasts of huge winds on the mountain. We are now preparing ourselves and our gear to go up through the Icefall to Camp 2 on 16th 

We will stay there keeping an eye on the weather forecasts until 19th when we will climb the Lhotse face to camp 3. After a night at camp 3 we will climb through the Yellow Band and over the Geneva Spur to the South Col. From there we will take stock of the whole situation including weather, the number of other teams on the Col and our own physical condition, before determining the timing of our further progress above the South Col.

We have been told that there will be a large number of the other teams making their bids at the same time as us. This is a situation that everybody has been anxious to avoid but which has been forced upon us by the brevity of the weather window. Problems can arise at potential bottlenecks such as below the South Summit or the Hilary Step where single ropes can result a queue of climbers remaining static for up to 30 minutes. The consequence of this can be frostbite, oxygen running short and substantial delay in getting back to the safety of camp 4, each of which pose a threat to life and limb. In the circumstances which have been forced upon us it is virtually impossible to come up with a viable solution to the congestion problem thus we will just have to adopt a pragmatic approach and try to overcome each problem as we come to it.

We will post daily dispatches once we are above camp 2. We all miss and send our love to our friends, relatives and loved ones. 

Ian Mackay QC Everest Base Camp, 14th May 2003 

Dispatch #11 Himalayan Guides 2003 Everest Expedition

South Col 21st May 2003

The summit is extremely windy. Many teams tried for the summit last night and failed, although we heard that one team has been successful from the north side. 

We have been on the South Col since yesterday and intend to make our summit bid tonight if the winds are lower than forecast.

Our ascent to the South Col was relatively straight forward. Both Vicky and myself had initial problems adapting to the use of oxygen, but we eventually got the hang of it. We went from Camp 3 to the South Col in relatively good time, so we are hopeful that our strength is sufficient for the summit.

At the moment (17.30 hrs) the winds are beginning to rise. We hope they do not rise to the predicted 50-60 mph which will make things very difficult. Ian Mackay QC 5/21/2003

Dispatches

 





  Altitude pre-
  
pre-acclimatization
  
Backcountry Gear
  
Backpacks
  
Bags& Luggage
  
Bindings
  
Boot & Fabric Care
  
Cameras

  
Camp Furniture
  
Camping Accessories
  
Car Racks
  
Carabiners
  
Cards
  
Child Carriers
  
Climbing Bags
  
Compasses
  
Cooking Supplies
  
Cycling Components
  
Cycling Repair
  
Dry Bags
  
Dry Boxes
  
Electronics
  
First Aid
  
Fishing Accessories
  
Fleece
  
Float Tubes
  
Fly Boxes
  
Fly Line
  
Fly Rods
  
Fly Tying
  
Fly Vests & Packs
  
Food
  
Footwear
  
Gaiters
  
Gifts & Games
  
Gloves & Mittens
  
Goggles
  
Harnesses
  
Hats
  
Helmets
  
Hydration Packs
  
Indoor Climbing Gear
  
Infant Apparel
  
Jackets
  
Kayaks
  
Kid's Cycling Gear
  
Kid's Paddling Gear
  
Knives & Tools
  
Leaders & Tippets
  
Lifejackets/ PFDs
  
Lights
  
Locks
  
Long Underwear
  
Maps
  
Messenger & Bike
  
Mountaineering Gear
  
Neckwear
  
Neoprene
  
Nets
  
Paddles & Oars
  
Paddlewear
  
Pants
  
Pet Gear
  
Poles
  
Pontoons
  
Prints & Posters
  
Rafts
  
Reels & Spools
  
Rescue Gear
  
Rock Climbing Gear
  
Rod & Reel Kits
  
Rod Tubes & Bags
  
Ropes
  
Shell Outerwear
  
Shirts
  
Shorts
  
Showers & Toilets
  
Skates & Scooters
  
Ski & Board Repair
  
Skirts & Dresses
  
Skis
  
Sleds and Tubes
  
Sleeping Bags
  
Snowboards
  
Snowshoes
  
Socks
  
Sprayskirts
  
Stoves
  
Strollers
  
Sunglasses
  
Sunscreen
  
Sweaters
  
Swimming
  
Tents
  
Travel Accessories

  
Underwear
  
Vests
  
Videos
  
Waders
  
Watches & Clocks
  
Water Bottles
  
Water Filtration
 


Send email to everestnews2004@adelphia.net   •   Copyright© 1998-2003 EverestNews.com
All rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, Visitor Agreement, Legal Notes: Read it.