Current Pakistan Time
Jean Christophe Lafaille
Translations by Fabienne for EverestNews.com
JCL- July 1st 2003
After a long and painful travel, after having
missing my plane following an nth movement of strike and following the total
incompetence of the Lufthansa Company, I finally arrived at Islamabad on June
28th at 18h. Jean-Christophe was there to greet me after this awful travel.
We are on June 30th and we still at
Islamabad. The whole expedition took a little delay because the leader, Simone
Moro, remained at the base camp of Nanga Parbat in order to try the summit
which it still did not climb. After another attempt he has finally had to give
up. He joined Shilas yesterday evening, today Scardu. Everyone waits for him
in order to join the base camp of Broad Peak.
As per our side, Jean-Christophe becomes the
leader of the expedition. He must take care of the briefing...In short, it is
necessary to be readjusted, reorganize... If the weather conditions allow it
we must fly to Scardu tomorrow July 1st , to start the trekking on July 2nd
and thus arrive at the base camp on July 10th .
I hope that the weather
conditions will allow Jean-Christophe and Ed Viesturs to climb Broad Peak
As per the moment, the
assessment of Nanga Parbat on the Diamir slope is as follows:
- 3 abandonments of the
Italian team at the beginning of the expedition because of frozen problems,
altitude sickness and an abandonment;
- 1 Basque at the top on
June 20th ;
- 9 casaques at the top;
- Jean-Christophe opening a
new way on Nanga Parbat and Ed Viesturs reached the summit on June 23rd at
- and to the final attempt of
Italian Simone Moro.
Soon more news, Katia Lafaille.
Digital Altimeter, Barometer, Compass and Thermometer. Time/Date/Alarms.
Chronograph with 24 hour working range. Timer with stop, repeat and up
function. Rotating Bezel. Leveling bubble. Carabiner latch. E.L. 3 second
backlight. Water resistant. 4" x 2-1/4" x 3/4" 2 oz. Requires 1 CR2032
See more here.