Manaslu 2002 led by Ralf Dujmovits


Ralf Dujmovits who has summited 8 of the 14 8000 meter peaks will lead this team of climbers on Manaslu in Spring 2002. He has reached the summits of K2, Broad Peak, Gasherbrum II, Nanga Parbat, Cho Oyu, Shishapangma (Main summit), Everest, and Dhaulagiri. 


AMICAL Alpine Manaslu Expedition arrived at base camp

The expedition team left Munich for Kathmandu on April 10. I left a little bit earlier in order to get the last things organized in Kathmandu. As Maoist attacks have intensified in the last few weeks and months we decided to abandon our plans to walk in through the Buri Gandaki and Nubri valleys North of Gurkhas and fly to Samagoan instead.

Click here for
Daily News
Manaslu Dispatches
Ralf Dujmovits
Facts & History
Buy Gear
Buy Books

After having spent a day and a half getting everything ready in Kathmandu and attending the expedition briefing at the Ministry of Tourism, we finally left on April 13. After a 40-minute-flight we arrived in Samagaon (3,550 m) in the upper Nubri valley. 

As we did not get the chance to acclimatize beforehand we spent four nights in Nubri. We went on day trips to nearby hills, visited the people of Samagaon and were invited by one of the monks of the monastery Lama Gyamtso to join a Buddhist ceremony.

On April 15, Sepp, two of our high-altitude porters and I climbed up to base camp (4,750 m) for the first time. We hit the first snow at 4,350 meters and were happy to see that a Norwegian team that had been on the mountain for a fortnight had already broken trail. Base camp lies in a well-protected moraine at 4,750 m and it seemed to be big enough for our expedition group. After we made sure that we had chosen the right spot to set up base camp, we had some tea with the Norwegians and went back down again.

Even though I had planned for everybody to climb up to base camp on April 16, I thought it might be better for the team to acclimatize another day. So, only Sepp, Joaquin, 75 porters and myself climbed up to base camp that day. We pitched our kitchen tent, storage tent and our mess tent. It was hard work, but the weather was beautiful and we were all in a good mood.

The next day the rest of the team arrived at base camp together with another 45 porters. After the porter were paid and left, we finished setting up base camp. Fortunately we made good progress and we were safe and sound during the night, when it dumped about 30 cm of snow. The next morning after breakfast we had a surprise visit. One of the monks from Samagaon left the village at 3am and arrived at base camp at 8am in order to celebrate the Puja with the Sherpas.

He blessed our food and drink and we toasted to a successful expedition. Now the mountaineering part of the expedition can start. We will probably stay at base camp for the next few days in order to acclimatize fully and will then climb up to Camp I.

You will find more information in our next newsletter.

Greetings from Manaslu

from the expedition team and Ralf Dujmovits

Alle Bilder AMICAL alpin - Christine Kopp