ALL SET FOR THE RETURN OF ANDALUCIA K2
A touching letter from the members of
the expedition, received yesterday by the director of Deporte Andaluz in the
presence of the link in Andalucía, Francisco Alí.
More information from the summit of
Elbrus, about Huisa and López of Sevilla
B. C. Andalucía K2, July 30, 2003
Our carriers come today Wednesday July
30, and we spend the morning prepping up the barrels, inventories, lists..., a
It has been a lot of days in this base
and few possibilities given by this marvelous mountain. A lot of rich
experiences which we pretend to take advantage of to return some day.
This mountain hasn't been like others,
we all have the desire to come back as soon as possible, to go to its highest
point. In other expeditions we haven't experienced this desire and if we leave
without the summit, the experience remains. K2 seems to have a magical
Now is time to go down and it looks
like we have to do it in a hurry, we hope to be in Skardu in three days, with
the help of the porters. These are our last words from BC for this year. Once
again THANKS TO EVERYBODY. Manuel González. ANDALUCIA K2.
More information about the success of
the Elbrus 2003 Expedition.
The two members of the C. D. Seven
Summits, Juan Antonio Huisa and Pedro López Rúiz, who are in the Elbrus 2003
Expedition, left from Sevilla on July 16 and two days latter were already at
the Priyut shelter, the last camp, located at 4,200 m. of altitude, with bad
weather and with the news that in the last fifteen days several people had died, trying to
crown this same peak. They said they would climb the Pastukov Rock
peak at 4,900 m. and they would go down back to the shelter to acclimatize;
they have spent three days there, because they not only were affected by
altitude but the weather got worse as well.
Some seventy mountaineers from other
countries left on the early morning of the 22, but they decided to wait one
more day, to improve their acclimatization. Fortunately they did not decide to
ascend, because none of the seventy could make the summit and five of them
died. So they decided to go down to Trerskol because of the bad weather
forecast and wait a couple of days for the weather to improve and to prepare
the final attack from there. On the 25th they climbed again to the Priyut
shelter and in the early morning of the 26 the started to ascend the last mile
that separated them from the summit 5,633) and fortunately could reach it.