Dispatch 16 & 17: 7/26/03:
After 2 days on the K2
face carrying to camp 3 all the climbing equipment to
fix camp 4 and the bottle neck, I return back to Broad
Peak base camp 4900 meters to take rest. Denis Uruko was
with me till camp 3 and he remained there to wait for a team
of Kazakhstan climbers and together go to camp 4 and if the
weather will be good also to attempt the summit.
I will do my attempt to K2 around 4 august
probably with Inaki Ochoa. After 2 months in Pakistan for Nanga Parbat and
Broad peak we need to get all our power to try safely climb K2. I saw too many slow
people on the mountain and the danger of accident jump on you very easily if
you are in that physical conditions...
The bad weather stopped
Denis Urubko and his team at 7800 meters (C4). Now they are in the tent in the
last camp waiting for better conditions and I spoke with them this morning at
Wind and clouds reduced
the visibility at 20/30 meters and they had been obliged to wait in the tent since
At Camp 3 7200 meters
another team of Kazak climbers are in the same conditions...waiting.
If tomorrow nothing
will change they have to make some decisions.
Now Iím in Broad Peak
base camp after sleeping in K2 camp 3. I follow the advise of the weather report and
this time I had been lucky.... In any case I hope that the weather will help
my friends and members on K2 and could be wonderful if they can come back
with the summit.... Ciao Simone Moro
K2 Photo Source Simone Moro