Today's News
   8000 Meters Facts
Banners Ads
   Classified Ads
   Climb for Peace

   E-mail (Free)


   Mailing List

News (current)
   News Archives
   Sat Phones
   Seven Summits
   Readers Guide

   Trip Reports
   Visitor Agreement






  Mexican-Canadian Mt Everest Expedition 2004: Update Four

Mexican-Canadian Mt Everest Expedition 2004 lead by Andres Delgado

Andres Delgado is sponsored in part by:

Today is March 24 and now I have time to write something about what has happened in the trip. 

I left Mexico on March 19 towards Los Angeles, California.  I took another flight there after passing immigration and checking my luggage to Katmandu.  From Los Angeles I flew to Tokyo, Japan, where I had to wait for an hour at the airport.  There I found Luis, who had started his trip on the same day as me but with a different route, he flew via Toronto and then to Tokyo. 

We flew together from Tokyo to Bangkok.  We spent the night in Bangkok and the next morning we flew to Katmandu, Nepal.

At 13:45, on March 20, we landed in Nepal; so many memories from previous expeditions came to my mind... How to forget the wonderful never ending lines to pass immigration? Where one person receives the passport and hands it to the clerk next to him, he puts the visa stamp and hands it to the next clerk, who prints the seal that validates the visa...  If you are lucky, he prints the seal himself, signs over the seal and the stamp to make them valid, but if you are not lucky, another one signs the passports...  After a never ending hour waiting we got our Nepalese visa and we went to pick up the luggage.

We located Luis' luggage immediately.  Mine didn't arrive...  After asking the one in charge of the luggage if they had already unloaded our entire plane, I realized that my luggage was lost.  I felt a chill running through my body, I had more than 5,000 dollars in equipment in my luggage, which is a big loss, but that was not the biggest worry.  The worst was that if my luggage is not found, you can buy good quality equipment in Katmandu, but they don't have all the sizes, and an expense that high was not contemplated in my budget...

I went to talk to the one in charge of the airline, with all the calmness I could manage and I asked if there was a chance that my luggage could arrive the next day in another flight.  His answer was short and precise: "Please sir, fill up the form for your baggage enquiry and we will do our best"...  Yes, I thought, but will it come?

We went to a hotel where we found the rest of the expedition team.

Next day, at 14:00 hours, I went to the airport to inquire about my luggage.

Some years ago, there was an expedition to Shishapangma, and my climbing partner that time, Héctor Ponce de León, lost all his luggage but it came one week later with seals from Rome!!!  By then, Héctor had already bought all his equipment again and was a week late in the expedition schedule.  When he finally found all his equipment, he had to sell again what he had bought (to get his money back) and he could only recover 50% of what he had spent...

When I came into the airport I did not know what to think, I did not want this to be the start of a catastrophe.

From the gate I could see a yellow package lying in the floor, which was the same color as my Cuahonte luggage, and some steps more confirmed that it was one of my bags.  "Well", I thought, "at least one of them was found". Some steps more and I found another one...  Ufffffff, what a relief, now we could go on with the expedition.

The 21st and 22nd were filled with work, a thousand things left to do.  Most of the expedition members still had to buy some equipment things, check the food and equipment that would go to Base Camp, order the solar panels and pack so that the first group could fly to Lukla on the 21st.  To make a long story short, on the 21st José Luis and me went to bed at three in the morning after packing things and checking the satellite modem.  At 4:30 in the morning we were waken up to go to the airport because it was supposed that the Lukla flight would take off at 7:00 in the morning.  Even though I was not going to fly that day, I went along with the group to the airport, because they were very nervous and a little out of practice.

At 8:30 in the morning I had to leave the airport, because I had to meet Elizabeth Hawley, the most prestigious stateswoman and journalist of the Himalayas, at 9:00 in the morning in my hotel.  Elizabeth is over 80 years old and still keeps visiting each one of the expeditions which come to Katmandu, gathering information about them and writing for different international media; truly the vitality of this woman is impressing.  The group who would fly to Lukla had the hope to take off around 10:00 in the morning.  Each time they asked about the time they would take off they answered: "No problem sir, flight in one hour".

After seeing Liz Hawley and telling her every detail about our expedition, Marta, Alejandro and I went to see Sven Gangdal, a Norwegian friend who I was with in Everest in 96 and Cho Oyu in 99.  When we met Sven at 11 in the morning in his hotel, Sven had already two beers on, with chatted a little and an hour later each one went to do their expedition chores.  Sven went to a Buddhist ceremony to bless his expedition and Marta, Alex and I went to buy some tapes for the video cameras and to do the paperwork for the Ministry of Tourism.   We had an appointment at the Ministry at 13:00 hours, which was moved to 16:30, so we used our time picking up the solar panels which we had ordered the day before.

The system that Alejandro and Marta had ordered was quoted at 1,000 dollars!!!, which was over our budget and was cancelled.  My system wasn't even analyzed, so they asked me to come back at 17:00 hours.

We went to lunch and from there we rushed to the Ministry of Tourism to get the climbing permit and to answer some questions related to our expedition. The fatigue of the previous night without sleep was building up... 

Going inside the Ministry of Tourism, as in any governmental institution, makes you terribly lazy, is like having a sleeping pill with a tranquilizer in a pasiflorina cocktail.  After 15 minutes of being sitting down in front of the clerks of the Ministry or Tourism and just by seeing and listening how they talked in Nepalese with the man in charge of our agency, I started to feel like I was floating in the air, my eyes were shutting close and I was not listening to anything... then I woke up with one of those head movements we use to score a soccer goal...  I opened my eyes wide and round and sat straight... sure that no one was looking at me... then little by little and fighting against my will, that government office caught me with its hot and slowly environment...  I fell asleep sitting in front of the High Mountain Section of the Ministry of Tourism of Nepal.

Just when I realized that the meeting was over, I stood up tumbling, I shook some hand that I still don't know who they belonged to and we left.  We had the permit to climb Everest in our hands.

Then I went to pick up the solar panels...  As expected they were not ready and we began to calculate the system at that time.  We finished at 20:30 hours.

At 21:00 I came to the hotel.  We were supposed to meet Sven again, along with some friends for dinner.  The next day we would all leave with different destinations and we wanted to celebrate.

Around 21:30 we met Sven at the Rum Doodle bar.  Sven had not stopped drinking since 11 in the morning.  He was not just happy to see me, he also gave me a hug and two kisses!!!  We had a beer together, wished good luck and I went to sleep.  I finished packing some things and went to bed around midnight.

At 4:40 on March 22 we woke up to pack the computers, cameras, etc. and to leave to the airport.  After the typical Nepalese delays, we landed in Lukla at 12:00.  Ang Khami, one of the Sherpas who are going with us, was there already, he dispatched our cargo to porters and yaks and at 12:30 we started our trek towards Namche Bazar.  It usually takes two days to go from Lukla to Namche Bazar.  We decided to do it in one day to catch up with the rest of the group and join again.  At 6 in the afternoon we arrived to Namche Bazar.  The fatigue and tension of the previous days had built up...  I fell asleep in the diner at 8 in the evening...  I didn't even asked for a room, I took out my sleeping bag from my luggage and curled in the diner very close to the wood stove...  I slept like a baby...  I didn't even hear the terrible snoring noises Juan Pablo makes, which by the way had made damage and caused terror among everyone else in the expedition.

We took a rest day today in Namche Bazar and tomorrow we will walk up to Thyangboche.  I hope to be able to write something more in a couple of days when we get to Periche. Andres Delgado

Translated from Spanish by Jorge Rivera

Hoy es 24 de marzo y hasta ahora tengo tiempo para escribir un poco sobre lo ocurrido en el viaje.

Salí de México el 19 de marzo con rumbo a Los Angeles, California, alli transbordé de avión tras pasar migración y redocumentar las maletas hasta Kathmandu. De Los Angeles volé a Tokio, Japón en donde tuve que esperar por una hora en el Aeropuerto. Allí me encontré a Luis, que habia iniciado el vuelo el mismo día que yo pero con una ruta diferente, él voló por Toronto y luego a Tokio.

Desde Tokio volamos juntos hacia Bangkok. En Bangkok pasamos la noche y a la mañana siguiente volamos a Kathmandu, Nepal.

A las 13:45 del 20 de Marzo aterrizamos en Nepal, inumerables recuerdos de expediciones anteriores llegaron a mi mente... -¿cómo olvidar las maravillosas colas interminables para pasar migración?, en donde una persona te recibe el pasaporte y se lo pasa en la mano al funcionario que tiene junto, este le pone la estampilla de la visa y se lo pasa al siguiente funcionario, que a su vez le pone un sello que acredita la visa... si tines suerte él mismo pone el sello, firma encima de sello y estampilla para que sea válido, si no tienes suerte, otro más firma los pasaportes... Despues de una interminable hora de espera obtuvimos nuestra visa Nepali y nos dirigimos a recoger el equipaje.

Inmediatamente ubicamos las maletas de Luis. Las mias no llegaron... despues de preguntar al encargado del equipaje si ya habian desembarcado todo lo de nuestro avión, me di cuenta que mi equipaje se habia perdido. Sentí un escalofrio correr por mi cuerpo, en mis maletas traía mas de 5,000 dólares de equipo, que de por si ya es una perdida cuantiosa, esa no era ni por mucho la mayor de mis preocupaciones. La peor bronca es si no aparecen las maletas, en Kathmandu puedes comprar equipo de muy buena calidad, pero no siempre tienen todas las medidas, ademas de que un gasto de ese tamaño no estaba contemplado en mi presupuesto...

Me dirigi al encargado de la aerolinea con toda la calma que fuí capaz y le pregunto si habría posibiliad de que mi equipaje apareciera al día siguiente en otro vuelo. Su repuesta fue corta y precisa "Please sir, fill up the form for your baggage enquiry and we will do our best"... Si, pense, ¿Pero llegarán?

Nos fuimos al hotel en donde nos encontramos con el resto de los expedicionarios.

Al día siguiente a las 14:00 hrs. fuí al aeropuerto a ver si mis maletas habian llegado.

Hace algunos años, en una expedición al Shishapangma, a mi compañero de escalada de aquella vez, Héctor Ponce de León, le perdieron todo su equipaje y apareció una semana despues con sellos de Roma!!! Para ese entonces Héctor ya habia comprado todo su equipo nuevamente y se habia retrasado una semana en el itinerario de la expedición, al final cuando su equipo apareció, tuvo que vender nuevamente lo que habia comprado (para recuperar su dinero) y solamente recupero el 50% de lo gastado...

Cuando entré al aeropuerto no sabia ni en que pensar, no queria que eso fuera el comienzo de una catastrofe.

Desde la puerta alcance a ver un bulto amarillo tirado en el piso, era del mismo color que mis maletas marca Cuahonte, unos pasos mas confirmaron que se trataba de una de mis maletas. "bien" pensé, "por lo menos ya apareció una". Unos pasos más y me encontre con la otra maleta... Ufffffff, que tranquilidad, ahora sí, podemos continuar con la expedición.

Los días 21 y 22 estuvieron llenos de chamba, mil pendientes quedaban por hacer. Aun nos faltaba comprar algunas cosas de equipo a la mayoría de los expedicionarios, revisar la comida y equipo que irían al campo base, mandar hacer los paneles solares y empacar para que el primer grupo volara a Lukla el 21. Para no hacer el cuento demasiado largo, el día 21 Jose Luis y yo nos acostamos a las tres de la mañana entre empacar cosas y probar el modem satelital. A las 4:30 de la mañana nos despertaron para irnos al aeropuerto pues se suponía que el vuelo a Lukla despegaría a las 7:00 de la mañana. Aun y cuando yo no volaba ese día, acompañe al grupo al aeropuerto pues estaban muy nerviosos y un poco desencanchados.

A las 8:30 de la mañana me tuve que ir del aeropuerto pues tenia que ver a Elizabeth Hawley, la estadista y reportera mas prestigiosa de Himalaya, a las 9:00 de la mañana en mi hotel. Elizabeth tiene mas de 80 años y aun sigue visitando a cada una de las expediciones que entran a Kathmandu, recopilando información de éstas y reportando para diferentes medios internacionales, verdaderamente la vitalidad de esta mujer es impresionante. El grupo que volaria a Lukla tenia esperanzas de despegar como a las 10:00 de la mañana. Cada vez que preguntaban por la hora en que podrian despegar les contestaban: "No problem sir, flight in one hour"

Despues de ver a Liz Hawley e informarle sobre los pormenores de nuestra expedicion, Marta, Alejandro y yo, nos fuimos a ver a Sven Gangdal, un amigo noruego con quien coincidí en el Everest en 96 y en el Cho Oyu 99. Cuando nos encontramos con Sven a las 11 de la mañana en su hotel, Sven ya traia dos cervezas encima, platicamos un poco y una hora más tarde cada uno se fue a realizar tareas propias de su expedición. Sven se fué a una ceremonia budista para bendecir su expedición y Marta, Alex y yo nos fuimos a comprar unos cassettes para las camaras de video y a hacer el papeleo para el ministerio de turismo. Teniamos la cita en el ministerio a las 13:00 hrs, la cual fue cambiada para las 16:30, asi que aprovechamos para ir a recoger los paneles solares que habiamos encargado el día anterior.

El sistema que Alejandro y Marta habian pedido fue cotizado en 1,000 dolares!!!, lo cual se salió de su presupuesto y fue cancelado. Mi sistema aun no lo habian analizado, asi que me pidieron que volviera a las 17:00 hrs.

Nos fuimos a comer y de allí corriendo al ministerio de turismo para recibir el permiso de la escalada y responder algunas preguntas inherentes a nuestra expedición. El cansancio de la noche anterior sin dormir se me empezaba a acumular...

Entrar a ministerio de turismo, como cualquier institucion gubernamental inspira una FLOJERA terrorífica, es como si le dieran a uno un somnifero con un calmante en un coctel de pasiflorina. Despues de llevar 15 minutos sentado frente a los encargados del ministerio de turismo y sólo ver y escuchar como hablaban en Nepalí con el encargado de nuestra agencia, comencé a sentir como flotaba en el aire, los ojos se me cerraban y ya no escuchaba nada... cuando me dí cuenta me desperte con unos de esos cabezazos que dá uno para meter un gol... abrí los ojos grandes y redondos y me sente derechito... seguro que nadie me habia visto... poco a poco y luchando contra mi voluntad, esa oficina de gobierno me hizo presa de su ambiente caluroso y lento... me quede dormido sentado frente al encargado de la sección de alta montaña del Ministerio de Turismo de Nepal.

Apenas me dí cuenta de que la reunion había terminado, me puse de pie tambalente, estreché algunas manos que aun no se bien de quienes fueron y salimos de alli. Llevabamos el permiso para escalar el Everest en la mano.

De alli me fuí a recoger los páneles solares... como era de esperarse no estaban listos y nos pusimos a calcular el sistema a esa hora. Acabamos a las 20:30 horas.

A las 21:00 llegué al hotel. Habíamos quedado de ver nuevamente a Sven y otros amigos para cenar. Al día siguiente todos partíamos con diferentes destinos y queriamos celebrar.

A las 21:30 aprox. nos encontramos con Sven en el Rum Doodle Bar. Sven no habia dejado de beber desde las 11 de la mañana. Ya no solamente le dio gusto verme, además, me abrazo y me dió dos besos!!! Nos tomamos una cerveza juntos, nos deseamos buena suerte y me fuí a dormir. Acabe de empacar algunas cosas y me acosté como a las 12 de la noche.

A las 4:40 del 22 de marzo nos levantamos para empacar las computadoras, cámaras, etc y salir rumbo al aeropuerto. Después de las típicas demoras Nepalís, a las 12:00 aterrizamos en Lukla. Ang Khami, uno de nuestros acompañantes Sherpas se encontraba ya allí, se encargó de asignar nuestras respectivas cargas a porteadores y yaks y a las 12:30 iniciamos la marcha rumbo a Namche Bazar. Normalmente toma dos días ir de Lukla a Namche Bazar. Nosotros decidimos hacerlo en un día para asi alcanzar al resto del grupo y unirnos nuevamente. A las 6 de la tarde llegamos a Namche Bazar. El cansancio y tensión de los días anteriores se había acumulado... me quede dormido en el comedor a las 8 de la noche... ni siquiera pedí un cuarto, saqué mi sleeping de la maleta y me acurruqué en el comedor muy cerquita de la estufa de leña... dormí como bebe... ni siquiera escuche los temibles ronquidos de Juan Pablo, que por cierto ya han hecho estragos y causado terror entre los demas de la expedición.

Hoy nos hemos tomado un día de descanso en Namche Bazar y mañana caminaremos hasta Thyangboche. espero poder escribir algo más en unos dos días cuando lleguemos a Periche.


Altitech2: Digital Altimeter, Barometer, Compass and Thermometer. Time/Date/Alarms. Chronograph with 24 hour working range. Timer with stop, repeat and up function. Rotating Bezel. Leveling bubble. Carabiner latch. E.L. 3 second backlight. Water resistant. 4" x 2-1/4" x 3/4" 2 oz. Requires 1 CR2032 battery. See more here.


  Altitude pre-


   Atlas snowshoes

   Black Diamond




   CaVa Climbing Shoes

   Clif Bar



   Edelweiss ropes
Eureka Tents




   Granite Gear


   Ice Axes

   Kavu Eyewear







   New England Ropes



   Outdoor Designs



   Princeton Tec

   Prescription Glacier



   Rope Bags

   Seattle Sports

Sleeping Bags




   Trekking Poles
and more here




Send email to     •   Copyright© 1998-2003 EverestNews.com
All rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, Visitor Agreement, Legal Notes: Read it