Current Nepal Time
Everest50 – May 20th: With a
good part of group B, Jean-Michel reached camp II this morning. Then the
news fell: the preceding weather forecasts are not valid any more. A sudden
blow of bad weather is announced on Tibet these days, which according to
flows', must pass very close to the Everest or pass more to north. If the
storm follows the Himalayan chain, it is wind and snow which will settle with
a ceiling close to the 10.000m on May 22nd.
But if luckily the episode
passes 200 km more to North, then everything is possible. Since this
morning, the clouds have quickly been formed on Nepal and Tibet side; it
snowed large flakes from the base camp to camp III, teams’ mood is down.
Everyone is tired by the two months of altitude. The date of return is near,
and the questions are numerous, beginning all with "and if?."
Without weather certainty
each one will follow the timing set up to meet Chomolangma knowing that
perhaps half-turn will have to be made. This evening, the last contact with
base camp suggested a spell of good weather… Everyone prays so that the
winds confine this storm in the North.
Situation of group A: Régis
went down from camp III with a member of another expedition who suffers from a
cerebral edema; he was placed in a special box at camp II. Hugues and Daniel
Blanchi are at camp III, Philippe, Guillaume and Dominique must join them
during the day. The bad weather, the too heavy bags and tiredness took the
better of the efforts of Laetitia and Jean-Marc to reach camp III; they are
this evening at camp II.
Jean-Michel wants to climb to
camp IV tomorrow morning. Departure at 4h30 with Serap, perhaps Laetitia,
Régis and camp III group, they will warn from up there.
Group B: Maurice, as per his gastric troubles, stopped at camp 1. For the
moment, Marcel, Gilles, Mario, Aude, Jean-Christophe, Brice, Jean-Christophe
Van Waes and Basile wait at camp II.
the bad weather is confirmed the possibility of a third group grows; Patrick
Gabarrou, Patrick Berhault, Bruno Gallet, Eric Loizeau and Nicolas Mugnier
would then try an ascent flash on 23 May, right before preparing luggage on
Sunday morning May 25th to join Lukla.